You are in control.
Being in control isn't as powerful as also feeling in control. You absolutely can, and should, learn how to harness the power of your birth experience in order to transition into parenthood stronger than ever.
If you've experienced any sort of abuse, assault, loss, or trauma in your past or even took a few swings on the mental health pendulum, you are already at a higher risk for postpartum depression and anxiety disorders.
Denial doesn't make that risk go away, believe me. I thought I could will the feelings away. Um, nope.
BUT, we can come up with a plan that can be put into motion quickly and easily - even in your groggy, hormonal postpartum state!
You're overwhelmed by all of the UKNOWNS and WHAT-IF'S inherent in labor...
Or you have a few HARD STOPS that are keeping you from feeling like you can enjoy this important day...
(for example: episiotomy, emergency cesarean, phobia of needles, not feeling heard)
The key to beginning parenthood stronger than ever is to identify those HARD STOPS, or triggers, that are inherent in labor and birth and develop strategies to conquer them.
Work together, one-on-one, with an experienced L&D nurse and trauma-informed trained childbirth educator in 3 private video-conference sessions, to
- identify YOUR specific sticking points
- ways you can comfortably manage this anxiety and fear
- then brainstorm strategies and techniques to handle anything that comes your way during the labor process
- outline a crazy-good birth plan that will work for you, NOT a wish list
- process your birth experience with a trusted professional to unpack any questions and get clear on your feelings
Your past, the hurdles you've already conquered, do not get to write your birth plan.
You are already resilient and have more coping strategies than you probably even realize!
This work isn't about learning a fancy, shmancy new labor method or complicated birth survival algorithm (though if I had one, we'd use it, because that sounds kinda cool)
It's much easier and faster than those types of techniques. We'll be getting really clear on what resonates with you, what's possible for your birth, what works for you and how your team can support that, and then enough time and energy in practicing what works so that you not only have a plan for your birth but also some kick a$$ skills for conquering postpartum and parenthood like it's your job! (oh wait...)
Are you ready to put in the work to have the positive childbirth experience that you deserve?
Get started now!
"Mandy Irby, thank you so much for your wonderful online Lamaze class. I just gave birth to my second son yesterday and absolutely credit your lessons with helping me to “birth boldly.” Due to low amniotic fluid at 41 weeks, I was induced with a small dose of pitocin to get things rolling. I was nervous about the induction, but with the tools and knowledge I pulled from your class, I was able to deliver my son in 11 hours without ANY pain meds or other interventions. Thank you for giving me the confidence I needed to be brave, bold, and strong! ❤️"
- Lauren C., Birth Nurse Academy student
"I LOVED how Mandy wasn't trying to push her personal opinions and offered many different perspectives on birthing practices. I also loved how much there was to learn and I feel so much more confident and prepared going into this birth. I think the price was definitely worth the peace of mind I've gained from taking this."
- Happy Client, Mom-to-Be
- 2, 2-hour strategy sessions through Zoom video-conference, private and convenient
- 1, 1-hour postpartum processing session through Zoom video-conference, discuss your birth, process your reactions to facilitate healing
- Space and time to share your fears/concerns/triggers. As a nurse, educator, and trained through When Survivors Give Birth training program, I have a unique perspective to help you prepare for a birth that has the potential to aid in your healing and begin your journey into parenthood feeling powerful and prepared
- You will receive all of my notes taken during our sessions so that you can focus on being present instead of taking notes
- A safe space for you to work out or work through some big feelings so that you can feel lighter, freer, braver, stronger, more YOU during your baby's birth
- PLUS: The entire Ultimate Guide to Taking Control of Your Childbirth online Lamaze course!
Once enrolled, you will have access to my online calendar so you can schedule your sessions at your convenience. You'll then get an email with a link for our Zoom conference, unique to the day and time that you have chosen. Zoom is mobile friendly, so you can chat by phone!
What You Won't Get
- This is not psychotherapy
- You won't get a diagnosis
- Judgement or criticism about your birth plan
- Fluffy, feel-good answers all tied up in a bow
- Truth: childbirth is challenging. If it was a walk in the park, you wouldn't be looking for ways to make it smoother and less terrifying. It is a time of great vulnerability, openness, and rebirth. I can't tell you that it will be so awesome and you'll float out of that delivery with Super Parent powers because birth was easy...so I won't. I will tell you how awesome and powerful you are, and I'll help you discover coping mechanisms and tools that you already possess, and some that you can learn and practice, so that instead of breaking you, this birth can be empowering. It may not be pretty, that would require that I have magical superpowers, and I assure you I don't, but it doesn't have to break you, either.
Hey there! I'm Mandy Irby, the mom and nurse creator of the Birth Nurse Academy and popular YouTube channel @MandyIrby. I 1 million% believe that our bodies are powerful, and with the right support, we are unstoppable.
My absolute favorite part about bedside nursing is when I can help surprise a new mother with her own strength! Labor plays funny tricks with our minds. It makes us vulnerable, it's raw, it's scary. Many of us get to a point where we feel utterly defeated, overwhelmed, and that we simply Cannot do it. I know the truth, however, and can see the fierceness and power inside each birthing person. When they finally reach the finish line and look back at their journey while holding their little one in their arms, that look of "well dang, I actually did it" is my favorite part of the whole process.
Though childbirth is very real and very raw, I believe that our past experiences, hurdles, and accomplishments are what give us the superpowers we need to have a powerful, rewarding, and healing birth experience.
I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City but have happily called Virginia home for the last 15 years. I discovered a passion for childbirth while attending the University of Virginia and have been supporting pregnant, laboring, and breastfeeding people and families for the last decade.
I'm on a mission to prepare families to birth boldly, so that they can begin parenthood stronger than ever.